Tuesday, October 18, 2011

The Blogger and the Bog

Hi, my name is Jess and I'm a cranberry farmer.

I'm also a sister, daughter, grad student, foodie, runner, reader, writer, surfer, artist, lover, and occasional wino. None of this particularly matters, but none the less, helps lend insight into my perspective on life and the things I value.

So why am I starting a blog? I'm starting a blog because our food system in the US sucks. I believe this is for a lot of reasons, but as a small farmer (literally and figuratively), I'm particularly interested in why over the last century, small farms have become nearly extinct (you can check out a brief USDA report here) and farming as a profession, has waned into an almost second class, unworthily endeavor for young people. I'm also interested in the absence of comprehensive education to youth about where their food comes from. 

Our food system is an unavoidable part of our lives! The average person eats three meals a day, but rarely ever do most stop to think about how eating habits effect their health and the environment. How did we get to this point? No really, how did this happen in such a historically agrarian society???

So what qualifies me to write a blog about food? Well, I didn't grow up a farmer, but I have spent the last 4 year working in the agriculture and food industries (I'm currently working to convert 10 arces of bogs into certified organic fruit), and my experiences have only furthered my desire to learn more through research, reading, and hearing others' experiences and stories.

And that's what I hope to do with this blog, create awareness of the many struggles that we are facing as a culture lacking small farmers and shed some light on why, as a small farmer, it's hard to keep fighting the good fight. I also hope to be truthful, fact/experience based, non-bias (as possible), and fun. Oh and along with all my undoubted ranting, offer some solutions as to how we Americans can make our food system better. For everyone.

Are you an interested party? Let's connect.



No comments:

Post a Comment