Wednesday, October 19, 2011

Farming is Hard, but it's a Worthwhile Life

I love what I do (which is a great thing to be able to say), but that doesn't mean that every few days I don't wake up thinking, "Was this whole organic endeavor a bad idea?"

I mentioned in my introduction post that farming has drastically evolved in the last 100 years, and unfortunately not for the better. Here is a great TED talk from Mark Bittman to check out that supports a lot of the things I touched on in my first post.

One more thing to watch: There's a cute Canadian family that is currently living out of a retrofitted school bus and traveling around the USA interviewing organic farmers. It's cool because the Mom's a writer who wants to create a collection of tips/best practices from farmers who are organically and sustainably growing their land.

That's what I want to do, too. Our collections combined could be powerful!



1 comment:

  1. My wife just read 'Fields of Plenty, A Farmer's Journey in Search of Real Food and the People Who Grow It' by Michael Ableman, and experienced a similar feeling to what you described, wanting to go talk to all of these farmers herself, wanting a farm of her own. Because honestly, I can't think of a more noble pursuit.

    ReplyDelete