Here's a few ways that we found affective:
- Providing Health Facts: Many farmers' market shoppers choose this as their place for produce because they CARE about what they eat.
- Allow them to Taste the Product: Cranberries are tart. Most people, especially those unaccustomed to raw cranberries, find cranberries too much to handle without some supplemental sugar. They might not buy the product right away, but next time they will know what to expect and be more open to purchasing the products.
- Recipes: The biggest marketer of cranberries, Ocean Spray, does not often provide an accurate portrayal of the true cranberry taste. It's products are usually coated with sugars or supplemented with juices that are naturally higher in brix (such as apple or grape juice). This is okay if you aren't looking for real cranberry taste or real cranberry health benefits. We found that helping consumers get EXCITED about cooking with cranberries was easy when we provided recipes and other ideas of how to use our products.
- Supporting Small Businesses: Meeting the farmers/producers was a deal maker for many of our customers. They really appreciated having us, the farmers, there at the market and getting to ask us all kinds of cranberry questions first hand.
- Organic Facts: Conventionally grown cranberries use many environmentally toxic chemicals that organic cranberry growers avoid. Having these information available for buyers was also valuable and important in their decision making process.